- In case of an accident while driving a minor’s vehicle, the guardian has to pay 25 thousand rupees. Will also have to pay a fine, the case will run under the Juvenile Act
- 2 lakh rupees compensation will be given on death in case of hit and run, it was earlier 25 thousand
- One thousand rupees without helmet and two thousand rupees fine for overloading
new Delhi. The Rajya Sabha also approved the strict provisions of the Motor Vehicle Act to reduce road accidents. The Motor Vehicle Amendment Bill passed in the Rajya Sabha by 108 votes against 13. This bill related to strict punishment for breaking traffic rules has been passed in Lok Sabha, but due to typing mistake it will be sent again to Lok Sabha for amendment. The bill provides that if a minor accident occurs while driving, then his parents will be imprisoned for 3 years. Vehicle registration will also be canceled. The amount of the fine has also been increased manifold.
10 thousand fine instead of 2. Driving a drunk will attract a fine of 10 thousand rupees instead of 2 thousand. Third party insurance is also necessary. In case of hit and run, death will be compensated at Rs 2 lakh, which was 25 thousand earlier. Road Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari while replying to the discussion that lasted about three hours said that this bill will be sent to the President this week after the approval of Lok Sabha. According to officials – after the President is signed, the increased penalty will be implemented by mid-August. There will be no reduction in the rights of the states by this law. All state governments will be able to implement the National Transport Policy as per their convenience.
Key points of the bill
- Driver license disqualified for 3 months on a two-wheeler without a helmet or overload.
- One thousand rupees without helmet and two thousand rupees fine for overloading.
- A fine of Rs 25,000 and a penalty of 3 years on the guardian for the accident while driving the minor’s vehicle. The case will be tried under the Juvenile Act.
- 25 thousand to 1 lakh on companies for violation of vehicle license terms of Ola, Uber. Penalty.
- A fine of one thousand for not giving way to an ambulance.
- The injured in the accident will have to be treated for free.
- There will be third party insurance of driver and cleaner. There is a provision of compensation of 50 thousand to 5 lakh rupees on death in the accident. 25 thousand to 2 lakh on death due to collision with unknown vehicle and 12 and 50 thousand rupees will be given compensation for injuries.
- Motor Vehicle Accident Fund will be created, which will have insurance for all road drivers. It will be used to treat the injured and to pay compensation to the relatives on death.
- Online verification of identity card is mandatory for learning license. Commercial licenses will be valid for 5 years instead of 3.
- License renewal can now be done within one year of expiry. Driver training schools will be opened to meet the shortage of drivers. The dealer will register new vehicles.
A look at the new provisions
|reason||First (Rs)||Proposed (Rs)|
|Overload||2000 (/ ton additional 1000)||20000 (/ ton additional 2000)|
|Over size vehicle||No||5000|
|dangerous driving||1000||Up to 5000|
|Speeding / racing||500||5000|
|No permit||Up to 5000||10000 to 25000|