Maxine Waters, chairperson of the US House Committee on Financial Services has invited top Crypto CEOs and experts at a full House committee hearing on Dec. 8.
The experts will testify before the Congress at the hearing entitled “Digital Assets and the Future of Finance: Understanding the Challenges and Benefits of Financial Innovation in the United States.” The news comes as the country’s regulatory authorities look to ramp up their surveillance of the crypto ecosystem.
— U.S. House Committee on Financial Services (@FSCDems) December 1, 2021
Chairman Waters has asked some of the biggest names in the crypto industry to bear witness at the meeting. They include:
- Jeremy Allaire, CEO of Circle, the company behind the issuance of stablecoin USDC
- Sam Bankman-Fried, CEO of crypto exchange FTX
- Brian Brooks, CEO of crypto mining company Bitfury
- Chad Cascarilla, CEO of Paxos, provider of stablecoin Pax Dollar (USDP)
- Denelle Dixon, CEO of Stellar (XLM) Development Foundation
- Alesia Haas, CEO of Coinbase, CFO of Coinbase Global
Of the above, Brian Brooks, CEO of Bitfury, was the acting secretary of the Office of the Comptroller of the United States (OCC) from May 2020 to January 2021. During his tenure, Brooks supported and encouraged several policies related to cryptocurrencies. After his retirement, he temporarily served as the CEO of Binance.US, the US subsidiary of crypto exchange Binance.
Chairperson Waters is quite skeptical about cryptocurrencies and has expressed opposition to Brooks’ policy on cryptocurrencies during his tenure at OCC. She has been an outspoken critic of crypto assets and has held several hearings on the topic, including the central bank digital currencies one in July 2021.